Ready-to-Eat Sausage Products recalled over Listeria concerns
Danielle International LLC is voluntarily recalling over 52 thousand pounds of their ready-to-eat sausage products because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent Jan. 29. A routine inspection revealed the product came in contact with surfaces that tested positive for the bacteria.
Listeria monocytogenes may cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, the frail or elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. Healthy adults may only suffer short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listeria infections may also cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. The illness caused by these bacteria can take up to 70 days to appear. Persons in the higher-risk categories who experience flu-like symptoms within two months after eating contaminated food should seek medical care and tell the health care provider about eating the contaminated food.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, Chief, Public Health Division, DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has recalled or withdrawn products in its inventory, they are immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products, bearing establishment number “EST. 54” inside the USDA mark of inspection are affected by this recall:
- Frederik’s by Meijer Spanish Style charcuterie sampler tray, 6-ounce plastic tray: UPC 08820 79306 with a “sell by” date of April 15
- Boar’s Head Charcuterie Trio, 6-ounce plastic tray: UPC 42421 16271 with “sell by” dates of April 13 - 15
- Colameco’s Primo Naturale Genoa Uncured Salami, 7-ounce plastic tray: UPC 16973 00708 with a “sell by” date of Dec. 23
- Colameco’s Primo Naturale Black Pepper Uncured Salami, 7-ounce plastic tray: UPC 16973 00707 with “use by” dates of Dec. 22, 30 and Jan. 17, 2024
- Del Duca Sopressata, Coppa & Genoa Salami, 1-pound plastic tray: UPC 36436 54003 with “sell by” dates of April 13 - 14
- Del Duca Calabrese, Prosciutto & Coppa, 1-pound plastic tray: UPC 36436 85288 with a “sell by” date of May 6
- Del Duca Genoa Salami, Uncured Pepperoni & Hard Salami, 1-pound plastic tray: UPC 36436 85580 with a “use by” date of May 4
- Gourmet Selection Sopressata, Capocollo, Hard Salame, 12-ounce plastic tray: UPC 36436 85586 with a “sell by” date of April 14
Customers should check their refrigerators and freezers for this product and return it to the commissary of purchase for a full refund. There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions related to this recall.
Questions about this recall should be directed to Daniele International LLC at (401) 568-6228 or via email to email@example.com.