Stretch the Food Dollar “Crab Cake” Salad
Macros / Serving Size
Protein: 36 g | Fat: 22 g | Carbs: 37 g
% Calories of Macros / Serving Size
Calories 485 | Protein 29 % | Fat 40 % | Carbs 30 %
Nutrients / Serving Size
Fiber 7 g | Sodium 965 mg | Sat. Fat 3 g
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 12 oz. canned crab
- 6 oz. canned albacore tune in water
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. yellow, red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup of mashed avocado (consistency of mayo)
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ tsp. hot sauce
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp. Dijon mustard, divided
- ¾ cup panko crumbs (preferably whole wheat)
- 4 tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp. lemon or lime juice
- 12-16 oz. fresh mixed salad greens or baby spinach
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- Black ground pepper to taste
- Place the diced celery, onions and bell pepper in a microwave safe dish. Add the hot Worcestershire sauce and an additional 1 tbsp. of water. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool when done.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed avocado with the spices, egg, yogurt and 1 tbsp. of Dijon mustard until completely blended. Add the cooked and cooled vegetables.
- Gently fold in the tuna, crab and panko until well mixed.
- Form 4 even sized patties with the mixture.
- In a large skillet bring 2 tbsp. canola oil to temperature of medium-high heat.
- Place the formed patties in the skillet and quickly brown each side (about one minute per side). Turn down the heat to medium and cook until heated through, carefully flipping occasionally to prevent burning.
- While the cakes are cooking, in a mason jar or a container that has a lid, add the remaining oil, Dijon mustard and lime or lemon juice. Cover and shake well and the lightly salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve each crab cake on a top of ¼ of the greens, top with ¼ of the mango. Sprinkle ¼ of the nuts (optional) over the greens.
- Drizzle ¼ of the dressing over the salad and use a little to top the crab cake.
- Nutrition analysis is based on the use of 6 oz. of fresh arugula, 10 oz. fresh spinach leaves, dried bread crumbs in place of panko, and lime juice. Optional ingredients are not included.
- Dijon mustard could not be included in the analysis because the ingredient was not available in the database. The impact on calories would be minimal; however, the sodium level would increase by about 100 mgs per serving.
- To decrease sodium about, consider using low-sodium canned tuna and gently rinsing the crab meat and let drain.